Monday, February 27, 2012

Lawn Care



It is almost that time of year to start a lawn maintenance program.  Hubby just bought two hoses (front and rear) and two sprinklers.  He also bought some fertilizer and a spreader. (Wow - who knew that lawn care could sound so naughty!)  Our "winter" has been extremely mild, so I'm sure that bugs will be a big issue as well has an early, hot summer to burn our new lawn.  Being that I have never lived in a single family home and it has been over 10 years since Hubby has lived in one (and at the time wouldn't have really cared about lawn care), we are hoping we can at least keep the grass green.  I am known for my black thumb, so I will have to probably trust Hubby on keeping our grass green and alive.

So any recommendations for lawn mowers, weed whackers, or lawn care products (we already know NOT to use Scott's brand anything), we would appreciate it!

As for landscaping and gardening, I have an idea of what kinds of plants I will put in and most definitely taking OUT the holly bushes our PM planted.  Other than that, not sure what else I will do with the yard.  My daughter is really hoping for a vegetable garden, so we'll see.  She is growing pole beans at the moment, for her science fair project, we will at least let those attempt to finish growing if I haven't killed them by next week.

1 comment:

  1. in my old house with it's crappy lawn, I wanted to cement it over and paint it green.
    I have always thought/heard Scott's fertilizer was good to go? Why no Scott's?
    I recommend a self propelled lawn mower of any brand that makes you happy. Once a year, I rent a gas operated edger and edge the whole yard. Then I just follow up the edging throughout the year with a corded weedwacker. I don't want the gas wacker, just another engine I have to deal with.
    Besides that, get a good watering plan and stick with it.

    ReplyDelete